This is another recipe inspired by Magnolia Table. I really can’t encourage you enough to go out and get this book! Now there are some ingredients listed that just can’t be found in Canada, so I made substitutions and also added a few things that just work for our family. I have listed below the recipe I have created with these modifications.
Pro tip: this is also a great meal to make a large batch of and split up for a weeks worth of lunches. When I make it I can get enough lunches for my husband and myself.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 large white onion, finely chopped
- 2 pounds – ground meat (turkey and beef have been fan favourites)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 x 18 oz mild diced tomatoes (my kids like Italian Spiced and Olive Oil & Garlic), undrained
- 1 can 14 oz Heinz Beans BBQ style, undrained
- 1 can 18 oz can 6 Bean Medley, drained
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 bags Frito’s corn chips
- 1 1/4 cups grated marble cheese (my daughter only likes marble cheese)
Making the Chilli:
- Heat oil over medium heat in a large soup pot. Add onion and saute until tender, about 8 minutes.
- Add ground meat and salt and pepper; cook, stirring often to break up the meat into smaller pieces, cooking until meat loses its pink color
- Stir in tomatoes and BBQ style beans with their juices and add drained 6 bean medley . Bring to a simmer, then reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
- Ladle chilli into bowls; serve topped with Fritos and cheese.
- For an extra fun dish take small sized tortilla shells and place them in a bowl like shape using an upside down muffin tin. baked in the over at 325 until they firm up keeping a close eye on them.