My husbands most requested pie is a key lime pie. It started when we were watching an episode of Dexter (which if you haven’t seen the series, quarantine is a great time to go ahead and dive in). I have finally perfected the recipe, so it felt like a good time to share.
- 2-3 medium sized limes for juicing (1/2 cup total)
- 5 eggs (separate yolks and whites)
- 300 mL can condensed milk
- premade graham cracker crust (you can make your own, but with littles at my side it’s easier this way)
- 1/4 tsp lemon juice
- 1/4 cup sugar
Making the Pie
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Separate eggs while cold out of fridge, it’s easier this way. Set aside egg whites to all them to warm to room temperature.
- Combine egg yolks with condensed milk and 1/2 cup lime juice.
- If you wish to add a bit of green colouring, now is the time. I start with 4-6 drops for a slight tint. Add more the greener you want your pie.
- Pour mixture into pie.
- Bake for 15 minutes
*** If making meringue continue below***
- Pour room temperature egg whites in metal or glass bowl.
- Beat with hand blender until they begin to foam
- Add lemon juice. This will stabilize the egg whites.
- Begin adding sugar one teaspoon at a time while mixing. Mix your mixture until you get hard peaks.
- When pie is out of the oven, lower temperature to 350°F and spoon meringue mixture onto pie
- Bake for 10 minutes, or until you get golden brown on the meringue.
- Serve & Enjoy!
I suggest making sure to refrigerate pie if you aren’t eating it right away.